Thursday

See how good I am? I am posting on my blog! Chalk up some class points for me, Matthew Stuart Downs.

Todays class was pretty good in terms of getting things a little more organized. One of the things I’m really happy about is that now we are able to put our site up on umwhistory.org. I haven’t done that yet today, it’s coming tomorrow. I’ll let everybody know when that’s up, and then we’ll show it on Thursday during our 5 min presentation. For my group, I’ll write up a little thing that tells how to get into the FTP stuff, but I don’t know if anybody else will ever want to get involved in it- it might be easier to have a point-“person” that just takes care of doing that.

The other thing we are working on is changing some of our graphics on the website. Hopefully, we’ll have those updates done for Thursday. One of them, maybe, will be a change in the header logo (the one of the top of monroe) to something a little more interesting. I thought the building was kind of lame, but not-creative me couldn’t think of anything better. Austin is more creative/artistic so he’s going to create something that will hopefully work. The other graphic that we’ve been working on is that background image on the profiles page (the one where we had the picture frame earlier). I took some pictures today of the front of Monroe and some other campus sites (ps A sightseeing trip around campus with a camera is really interesting. Lots of people (especially those in this class) will make fun of you. Give it a try sometime.) that we will try to work in there.

For the alumni group, what we need to work on:

• editing those video interviews to shorter clips, one for each specific topic, then putting those on youtube (should we create a umwalumniproject youtube account?)
  • create a list of topics/events/things that we want to put on our timeline- also things that we need to find and collect artifacts for. These topics are what people have spoken about in our interviews. This is a dynamic list- we’ll keep adding to it as we chat with more people.
  • create the basic profile information for each perso (with name, grad year or years at mary washington, major, what else?)

Some questions for you guys:

• What do you think about email/phone interviews? There are people that we may just not be able to get to in a video format or those who don’t want to be on a video. People from long distances, with no time, etc. Do we want to still include them just without video? This would kind of be like our “add yourself” section because those people would not have video w/ them. What do you think?
  • Also, what about people that didn’t graduate from Mary Washington? Do you have to be a graduate to be interviewed?

Anything else? hmmmm…

2 Responses to “Thursday”

1. […] mdowns wrote an interesting post today on ThursdayHere’s a quick excerptediting those video interviews to shorter clips, one for each specific topic, then putting those on youtube (should we create a umwalumniproject youtube account?) create a list of topics/events/things that we want to put on our … […]

2. I think you do need to be a graduate, but I have been asked that several times. I think phone interviews are okay, but they are difficult to do. I think e-mail would be a better way to go, that way you at least have a hardcopy, since recording on the phone might pose additional problems. Austin what do you think?